Water baths and circulators are used in a variety of settings including industrial and clinical laboratories, academic institutions, government research laboratories, environmental research applications, and food technology. Despite their maturity as a product category, laboratory baths continue their slow evolution, particularly in the areas of controls and user interface.
Top 7 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Bath or Chiller
- Does the product have any exclusive features? What sets it apart from other vendors’ chillers or baths?
- Is it important for your lab that the vendor have ISO 9001 certification?
- What is the warranty period? What does it cover?
- Are service plans available? If so, is there an on-site option?
- Does the unit have the appropriate cooling or heating capacity for the application? Is there enough reserve capacity to account for environmental cooling or heating losses?
- Does the manufacturer offer the necessary accessories for the application? (Tubing, fluid, adapters, electronic interfaces, etc.)
- Does the manufacturer understand the application and provide a thorough explanation of calculations to recommend the proper instrument?
Types of water bath or chiller used by survey respondents:
|Standard (general purpose) water baths||58%|
|Circulating water baths||55%|
|Shaking water baths||25%|
|Cooled water baths||22%|
|Boiling water baths||10%|
|Waterless bead baths||8%|
|Stirred water baths||7%|
|Steaming water baths||3%|
How survey respondents repair their baths or chillers:
|Manufacturer service agreement||22%|
|Third party service agreement||17%|
|Multi-vendor service agreement||4%|
Nearly 55 percent of respondents are planning to purchase a new bath or chiller. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of aging system||55%|
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||27%|
|Setting up a new lab||7%|
|First time purchase||2%|
For more information on baths and chillers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.athing2share.com/baths-chillers